Thursday 17 December 2015

Leek and Potato soup

Leek and potato must surely be one of the easiest types of soup to make - and one of the most comforting!

I harvested some Leeks from my garden today. They were not big, but they were good-looking specimens:


I decided to make them into Leek and Potato soup.

Preparing them is easy: remove tops and tails, slice into 1" pieces, wash. I also prepared a similar quantity of potatoes, peeled and diced. (No, I didn't weigh or measure them, I just did it by eye).


I then sweated the Leeks for a few minutes with a little butter and vegetable oil, just until they were soft.


Then I added the potatoes, and about half a litre of home-made chicken stock, a little water, and a couple of leaves of Leaf Celery. The latter adds a certain savoury "umami-ness" to the soup.


Then, simmer gently for about half an hour until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked and very soft. After allowing the veg to cool a little, I blitzed it in the food-processor for a few seconds. You could of course leave it "chunky". Et voila - soup!


Return the soup to the pan and add salt and pepper to taste. Thin it if necessary (by adding stock or water) to the desired texture ready for serving. I made ours very thick. As you can see, I served it with some buttered bread, and some Cheddar cheese.


So, what could be easier than that?

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are too kind, Jo. I think it actually doesn't LOOK that nice - a bit like very sloppy mashed potato! But it tasted good..

      Delete
  2. Looks great. And you didn't make the mistake of adding nutmeg like I did. Not the best...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good... It's finally cold enough here... I'd enjoy a cup of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd love to have a bowl of that soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually make this and will have to try the addition of the parcel that we grew. I also like to add white wine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.